[uf-discuss] Re: proposal: a.include

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 10:44:32 PDT 2006

On 7/10/06, Tantek Çelik <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> type="text/html-frag">Scandinavia House</a>
>
> I think this may be another legitimate use of "includes" - to replace
> abbreviated local content with a more extensive chunk from another location.
>
> What do folks think of this usage?

This idea seems pretty potent -- I just wonder a) whether normal folks
will ever use it (especially in the blogger/individual sense -- or
else everything would need to be linked to a more filled out
description in blog posts... I guess the question of when you link to
the expanded version could become a small matter in the case of
inconsistent judgment; b) that finding the authoritative reference for
expanding the link could be difficult -- especially if content on the
other end changes or is malformed. The issue here, perhaps, is to what
degree parsers should trust or rely on remote information when it
comes across such includes. Should it treat it as local content, as
PHP and ASP and other scripting languages do? --or should it be
treated as an untrusted source of information?

Chris