Include fragments [was RE: [uf-discuss] a.include mimetype]

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Mon Jul 10 11:39:26 PDT 2006

On Jul 10, 2006, at 1:06 PM, Joe Andrieu wrote:

> "Including" references to fragments on other pages creates the
> problems
> Chris brought up: that the fragment, which may be from some other
> author and
> may be arbitrarily formed or invalid or impermanent.

Tantek wrote on IRC today that "it is not allowed across pages," so
we don't need to worry about those problems right now.  Before
identifying fragments by IDs became common, authors would often
create addressable fragments with empty anchors, e.g.:

<a name="fragment" href=""></a>

So I don't expect doing the opposite would be a difficult concept for
authors.  Of course, people don't do this much anymore because it's
ugly, but we seem to be lacking any prettier alternative.

Peace,
Scott