[uf-discuss] More responses to slashdot comments

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Jul 13 13:30:09 PDT 2006

On Jul 13, 2006, at 3:17 PM, Sho Kuwamoto wrote:

> Depending on the look I wanted to achieve, I might find myself needing
> to surround, say, the first three divs by another div (let's call it
> "leftColumn" because there is no semantic relationship between these
> three sections).

Why isn't "leftColumn" a semantic relationship?  It means something,
doesn't it?  There's no reason a bunch of designers couldn't get
together and agree on what "leftColumn" means just like the W3C
agreed on what "h1" means, and the microformats community agreed on
what "vevent" means.  Until someone find a babblefish, that shared
meaning is all we have to communicate.  That's as semantic as it gets.

Peace,
Scott