[uf-discuss] geo and named locations

John Allsopp john at westciv.com
Sun Jul 23 20:35:29 PDT 2006

Charles,

thanks for the reply

> You don't have to use the whole hCard.  Some Microformats have been
> extracted from this.

the geo spec says

"If the publisher knows and is publishing the name of the location in
addition to its geo lat/long, then the publisher MUST use hCard
instead of just geo to publish the name and geo lat/long of the
location."

So I'm trying to determine when a named location must use hcard (such
as when those locations have a name but no address, but more
generally, when the geop and or adr aren't actually "contact
information" - for example, the location of the eiffel tower in a
guidebook (for which of course, the adr certainly works) )

> There's "adr" -- http://microformats.org/wiki/adr -- for just
> specifying addresses.  And there's "geo" --
> http://microformats.org/wiki/geo -- for just specifying geo info.

thanks again

john

John Allsopp