[uf-discuss] solidifying multiple hatom feed behavior

Chris Casciano chris at placenamehere.com
Tue Jul 25 17:14:39 PDT 2006

On Jul 25, 2006, at 7:38 PM, Ryan King wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2006, at 3:23 PM, Chris Casciano wrote:
>
>> How does this become 1 feed and not two?

>> 	<!-- feed 1 entries -->
>> 		<!-- feed 2 entries -->
>
> Per the spec []:
>
>> the Feed element is optional and, if missing, is assumed to be the
>> page
>
> In this case, I wouldn't say that the "Feed element" is missing.
> So, there is no full-page feed.
>
>> (This is a fairly important case to me.. because it can lead to
>> instances where the content of a blog post may come along and
>> break an existing feed just by nature of its content.. and points
>> again to a de-facto requirement for class="hfeed"+id on all feeds
>> just to publish safely)
>
> Haven't we defined opacity rules to deal with this problem?
>
> -ryan

You're missing my case of working with a document that normally
assumes a full page feed

if a page is coded for that minimal case then all could be working
just fine unless one of the authors of the site happens to post a
feed in the body of an item and then you've gone and totally rewired
the document as a result.

I don't see where opacity comes in here when the page wide feed
disappears under these circumstances...

going from this...

			<!-- benign content -->
			<!-- benign content -->

over time to this...

			<!-- benign content -->
			<!-- benign content -->

If I'm understanding your reading of the spec someone could be
subscribing to the blog posts via page.html and have things work as
expected until post-003 is made and it "hijacks" the blog feed

--
[ Chris Casciano ]
[ chris at placenamehere.com ] [ http://placenamehere.com ]