[uf-discuss] Exploratory discussion: content rating

Drew McLellan lists at allinthehead.com
Thu Jul 27 07:52:05 PDT 2006

On 27 Jul 2006, at 15:41, Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen wrote:

> The cultural issues involved in creating a ratings system that
> actually
> *work* in practice, across borders is really really hard. You need
> to solve
> that problem before a microformat for ratings makes any sense.

I disagree that that problem needs to be solved. I'm not sure it can be.

By that logic you're saying there's no value in having some way to
indicate that content may be offensive to some people, so best have
no indication of that at all. Remember that the default state on the
web is that everything is potentially off the top of the scale of any
individual's idea of acceptability. There's no harm done by giving
content a more 'liberal' rating than another person might than if
that content was never rated in the first place.

drew.