[uf-discuss] Easy book citations

Fred Stutzman fred at metalab.unc.edu
Sun Jul 30 09:47:21 PDT 2006

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, Simon Cozens wrote:

> Fred Stutzman:
>> I believe our task could be as simple as microformatting the bib format.
>
> That's a good idea, but could easily get bogged down in months of committee
> work (http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-formats) so I think it's probably
> better to have something simple working and build on it when required.

Well, indeed, but wouldn't defining a new standard just contribute another
to this list?

Bib is widely adopted by consumers, industry and academia - it is used in
many reference management applications.  In using bib, the micfrofrmat
citation format would be instantly widely usable w/o translation.

If we are going to define yet another namespace, that's fine.  We will be
here for months, I agree.  But if we adopt bib (or parts thereof), we'll
have a microformat that is actually usable.  In terms of real world use,
I've got stuff on my desktop and in my browser that can deal with bib, but
not with DC or Z39.80.

So the question is, what do we define as "something simple working" - if we
throw away the work of the bib community, who can use our microformat?  Do
we expect people to write new software and translation layers?

Thanks,
Fred

--
Fred Stutzman