[uf-discuss] eRDF <=> microformats?

Alex Iskold alex.iskold at adaptiveblue.com
Thu Jun 1 21:31:05 PDT 2006

I am fairly new to microformats. My initial reaction was
why not describe the page data in XML first, then use XML to
describe the presentation and then use XSLT to produce the
actual HTML page.

I then realized that this approach does not solve a problem.
In fact it misses the point of microformats, which is to embed
the meta-data with the data, to make the data 'self-describing'
and to eliminate the need for additional query and parsing.

Using RDF does not bring anything new to the solution,
in fact there maybe a lot of solutions to the format problem.
For that reason the format that we choose should be as short
as possible, so that we do not make the documents super verbose.

I agree with Ryan, that RDF is not a good way to go, because it
is pretty complex and it certainly is very verbose.

Alex

alex iskold
founder & ceo
adaptiveblue