[uf-discuss] hCalendar for events in tables (real world examples)

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri Jun 2 20:05:17 PDT 2006

On Jun 2, 2006, at 5:51 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:

>> It seems clear to me that, since its talking about markup that
>> its  for
>> authors.
>
> You asked me to let you know if they "lack clarity in any way"; not
> whether they were clear to you.

Yeah, what's up with asking if it's clear and then arguing with the
response?  And you really think the section that starts with "when
parsing" is clearly for authors?  Is this opposite day or something?

On Jun 2, 2006, at 6:01 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:

>>> I'm troubled by the (ab)use of the "object" tag - what
>>> object is being embedded, in such cases?
>>
>> The referenced node.
>
> But it's not being embedded, is it? It's merely referenced.

The object tag isn't itself an object.  It's a reference to an
object, just like the img tag is a reference to an image, by URI.
The user agent is supposed to do the inclusion if it understands the
referenced object, and ignore it if it doesn't.  That's all in the
HTML spec.  The only thing microformats seem to be adding is the
stipulation that objects referencing fragment URLs should only
include the specific node the fragment identifies, and not the entire
document as Safari does.  I don't see that in the HTML spec.

>> Safari doesn't handle object elements correctly.
>
> what would be "correct"?

The spec says correct behavior is including the referenced object if
it's understood, and ignoring it if it's not.  Most browsers ignore
what Safari includes, but on my reading, that doesn't make Safari's
behavior incorrect.  Is there something else, or is it just that
Safari's inclusion is a visual mess?

>> Right, you should certainly apply the above styling to all browsers,
>> as they each have their own difficulties with object elements.
>
> And what about agents with no CSS capability?

You should be able to use the height and width attributes for such
user agents.

> The method smacks of being a kludge.

Inclusion seems to be following the intent of the object tag, but it
doesn't seem like any browsers really implement the object tag well.
We can't change what's valid XHTML, so the alternatives seem to be
object tags or nothing.  And nothing is a perfectly viable option.
Inclusion is not a requirement, just an option.

Peace,
Scott