[uf-discuss] hCalendar scope

Hans Gerwitz hans at gerwitz.com
Tue Jun 6 11:19:39 PDT 2006

Alright, I'm giving in to the hegemony and will adopt vevent for all
calendar use cases.  My sample content <http://hans.gerwitz.com/
2006/06/01/she-said-yes.html> has been adjusted and the various
parsers all like it, now.

What drove this decision is a consideration of the iCalendar-
hCalendar impedance mismatch.  VJOURNAL is not the only component not
represented in hCalendar; VTODO and VFREEBUSY are also unaccounted
for (in the ecosystem, at least.  Only Mark Mansour's parser accounts
for non-event components).

So, I'd like to propose the VEVENT-centric scope of hCalendar be
formalized:
- Ryan's "remove vjournal" to-do item should be expanded to include
vtodo and vfreebusy, and executed to prevent others falling into the
trap I did.
- References to iCalendar (especially "1:1 representation" of RFC
2445!) in wiki/hcalendar should be re-worded to specify that only the
VEVENT component is mapped.

I'd be happy to handle the wikicleanup if there is a consensus.  Is
there a voting process here?
- - -
Hans Gerwitz
hans.gerwitz.com