[uf-discuss] LinkedIn and Microformats

Chris Casciano chris at placenamehere.com
Tue Jun 13 14:45:27 PDT 2006

On Jun 13, 2006, at 5:18 PM, David Janes -- BlogMatrix wrote:

> I was going to report the happy news that LinkedIn [1] is using
> hCards, as my little Greasemonkey script was showing an icon on the
> page. Alas, it's not to be -- here's what they're doing:

>  class="vcard"><a
>  href="/addressBookExport?exportMemberVCard=&memberID=6172221"
>  name="_exportVCard">Download vCard</a></p>
>
> D'oh -- they're using "vcard" to mark that there's, umm, a vcard at
> the other end of the link. If anyone knows anyone at LinkedIn, you may
> want to give them a nudge.
>
> Regards, etc...
> David
>
> [1] http://www.linkedin.com/

And?

I guess it doesn't hurt to give them a nudge and let them know that the
class they're using triggers the script in your browser making you
think something is there that is not, but do microformats own the
strings used in various classes and other attributes?

If was a web developer that new nothing of microformats something like
the above would certainly make plenty of sense.

Sounds like just a typical gotcha when you're doing this kind of thing
(writing MF consumers that is).

--
[ Chris Casciano ]
[ chris at placenamehere.com ] [ http://placenamehere.com ]