[uf-discuss] Book Contents Format

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 07:25:42 PDT 2006

On 6/21/06, Alex Ezell <aezell at gmail.com> wrote:

> As Tantek mentioned, there aren't many real-world examples. Perhaps,
> my project could be one such example and I would like for this group
> to have as much input into the final format I use as makes sense.

I think it's a good idea. DocBook, TEI, LaTeX are all good existing
models (I think the constant focus on "real world = what's already on
the web" is counter-productive; we're still early in the web
revolution). Indeed, I author my academic articles and books in
DocBook, and then convert them to a home-grown XHTML micro-format. It
actually is pretty good on its own, but also imports nicely into Word
(which is what publishers typically want).

Note also that Alf Eaton did some work in this area.

Bruce