[uf-discuss] permalinks for microformat chunks of pages: use the 'id' attribute on root microformat elements

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Jun 22 11:54:41 PDT 2006

In my experience with both searching for microformats and revealing them and
linking to them, I have found an interesting pattern that I would like to
share with folks.

The microformat chunks (e.g. hCards, hCalendar events, hReviews etc.) that
have an "id" attribute are much easier to automatically reference (and thus
link to and browser/scroll to from search results) than those without.

I've done this with my hCard on my home page: http://tantek.com/

E.g.

 <a class="url fn" href="http://andy.example.com">Andy Smith</a>

When you mark up people/companies as hCards or hCalendar events or hReviews,
along with other things on a single page, try using an "id" attribute on the
root element (the element with class="vcard" etc.) and report back how ti
works with you.

If this works for folks, I'll add it to hcard-authoring as a recommended
good practice.

Thanks,

Tantek