[uf-discuss] Very basic question that is not in the FAQ

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Jun 22 14:08:16 PDT 2006

On Jun 22, 2006, at 1:20 PM, Kevin Marks wrote:

> The point of microformats is to give up control. Technorati
> genuinely believes that distributed open formats are more valuable
> than centralised closed ones, and that is a big reason why Tantek
> and I work here.

I know all this.  My point is that someone reading microformats.org
for the first time does not, and they should.

> The problem may be that 'clarifying ownership' involves a
> digression into Open Source theory rather than a simple disclaimer.
> If you have a good way of explaining this do please share it.

On http://microformats.org/about I'd suggest something like:

"
microformats are:

  ... open data format standards that a diverse community of
individual and organizations are actively developing ...

microformats are not:

.... Controlled by any individual or organization....

On http://microformats.org/wiki/faq I'd suggest something like:

"Q: Who controls microformats?

A: An open community. Microformats are open standards licensed under
Creative Commons Attribution.  Work on microformats began at
Technorati, who later divested control of microformats to an open
community.... The microformats.org domain is registered to
CommerceNet, but CommerceNet claims no control over microformat
standards..."

I'd like to be able to point people to words like these.  I can say
these things myself, but my words don't carry as much weight as
microformats.org.  In my experience, fearful, uncertain, and
distracted people prefer weighty words.

Peace,
Scott