[uf-discuss] Outlook doesn't import phonenumbers?

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Jun 27 07:15:15 PDT 2006

Hi Victor,

On 6/27/06 5:12 AM, "Victor Nystad" <vliste at palografen.no> wrote:

> I'm doing some experimenting with hcard on my companys website:
> http://www.palografen.no,
> and ran into difficulties getting Outlook to import the phonenumber
> when parsed through technoratis hCard to vCard converter <http://
> feeds.technorati.com/contacts/>
>
> It seems the only way to get it to work is to specify the type value,
> for instance "work",

There are a few things to do here.

First, AFAIK, this is a limitation/bug in Outlook's vCard support that we
didn't previously know about.  If you could document it on the
vcard-implementations wiki page, that would be great:

 http://microformats.org/wiki/vcard-implementations

> as a class itself.
> class="value">40003718</span></span> doesn't work, but adding work as
> a class-name does:
> class="value">40003718</span></span>
>
> But then again, this isn't valid is it?

Actually, it *is* valid, you just simply don't need the class value of
"work".  The following should be sufficient.

> Any other solutions apart
> from telling 60% of my customers they should get a mac?

It may also be possible to change the X2V code to simply set the default
type value for "tel" explicitly when there is no type specified.  In this
case, according to RFC2426, the default type for "tel" is "voice".

Could you try the following to see if it works with Outlook?

Thanks,

Tantek