[uf-discuss] Outlook doesn't import phonenumbers?

brian suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 08:15:24 PDT 2006

Tantek Çelik wrote:
> Brian,
>
> I think the <span class="type">Work</span> is what makes it work in Outlook.
> That's the point.

I read the original email as, "it only works as a class value":
It seems the only way to get it to work is to specify the type value,
for instance "work", as a class itself.
class="value">40003718</span></span>
doesn't work, but adding work as a class-name does:
class="value">40003718</span></span>

In my tests, i managed to get the first instance without the class
value, to work just fine. Having the "work" in <span class="type work">
shouldn't do anything. Work is not a property in vCard, it is a value,
therefore it doesn't mean anything as a class value.

Another option for encoding these type values is on the abbr element.
<abbr class="type" title="work">Norwegian word for "work" here</abbr>

As for NOT having "<span class="type">Work</span>" at all, i could
easily see how that would fail in outlook. Outlook has rigid fields
where it is looking for a work phone, home phone, etc. If the phone is
unspecified Outlook doesn't know where to put it, so it is ignored. We
can explore using a default of TYPE=voice, but unless Outlook has a
specific place for that, then it might be ignored as well - certainly
worth some testing.

If we knew what version of Outlook was being used, then it would be
easier to diagnose the issues.

Thanks,
-brian