[uf-discuss] Is Music dead? (I hope not!)

Benjamin West bewest at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 14:36:39 PDT 2006

I've been watching this thread with some hesitation.  I'm from the
classical world and am usually frustrated with the attributes most
people capture in music meta formats.  Consumption of classical music
is a bit different from pop music.  The attributes of data that are
important shift meanings through different genres.  In classical, the
concept of composer and performer is relatively loosely coupled
compared to pop when they are usually the same thing.  In addition,
composers often stand on the shoulders of giants, and there are
multiple versions built on top of eachother... an example would be the
Bach-Gounod "Ave Maria".  For this, you essentially have attributable
text, a melody composer, and then an arranger, all from very different
time periods.  On top of this, you would have subsequent arrangements
(a choir version vs a solo version) in addition to the performer or
groups performing in addition to date and location of that specific
performance.   What I find is that most people into "New Media" miss
these subtleties.  I've never seen an id3 tagging that does a good job
conveying all of this information.

I know microformats aim to take advantage of the 80/20 rule... does
this mean classical music will get the cold shoulder with all its edge
and special cases?  On the other hand separate formats for genres of
music doesn't seem like a good solution either.

Anyway, a site to check out would be http://www.allmusic.com/ . For
years, they've been publishing data /about/ music in every genre.
They used to have separate sites, eg, allclassical.com alljazz.com and
then combined them under the now familiar allmusic.com.  Notice that
the emphasis on what information is conveyed is different within each
genre.

It seems to me that a microformat for music would either have
different formats for different genres, leave certain attributes out
(which I'm convinced would almost only negatively impact classical),
or be incredibly time consuming flushing out all the edge cases
(typically avoided).

-Ben
(classical training in voice, cello, percussion, piano, some conducting)