[uf-discuss] MicroID Revisited

Fred Stutzman fred at metalab.unc.edu
Fri Jun 30 17:07:43 PDT 2006

Greetings,

A few months ago, MicroID was briefly discussed on this list [1].  The
discussion flashed out quickly, leaving a number of unanswered questions.

In the meantime, I've been using MicroID, and I've become increasingly
convinced of the potential value of MicroID as a simple identity
"microformat".  I put the term in quotes because, citing Jeremie Miller,
MicroID is not a perfect prototypical microformat - never the less, I think
the value proposition of MicroID is high enough to deserve discussion here.

I'd like to restart the discussion of MicroID, for a number of reasons.
First, there are some questions raised in the first thread that can be
answered (i.e. the value of a shared secret based on a communication
identifier).  Second, I'd like to entertain new questions - and further the
discussion of the worth of such an identity microformat.

There are a few resources I can point you to in order to restart the
discussion.  The first is the MicroID webpage [2], and the second is the
MicroID blog/FAQ [3].  I've written two posts that describe the
implementation of a MicroID-based verification system that may also be
useful [4],[5].

In order to start or restart this discussion under the process guidelines,
here's my go at a problem statement answered by MicroID.  Currently, there
doesn't exist a simple identity microformat that will allow users to make
verifiable claims of ownership of semantic elements.  MicroID solves this
problem by allowing semantic elements to be marked up with a simple
identity microformat.  MicroID can be implemented by content providers, and
tested by third-party verifiers.  Such a system, implemented properly so
that the communication identifiers are verified, allows a individuals to
make simple, trusted and highly scalable claims of ownership of web
resources.

Thanks,
Fred

[1]