[uf-discuss] Product Data Microformat

Margery Conner mconner at connerbase.com
Thu Mar 2 08:00:03 PST 2006

Chris, you asked for "real-world" uses. I work in trade publishing, where
the majority of information submitted for both print and online publication
relates to new product releases.

My interest in a microformat for products is so that publishers can automate
the distribution of new product information. There was a thread in January
[1] that suggested listings as well as hreview as a possible framework, and
suggested "a name, a summary including a description of use, a list of
specific features, manufacturer or re-seller name, and copyright or legal
information" as a starting point for basic product information.

About the need for a UPI: While it's true that it's important to identify a
product uniquely, once you've specified the part number and/or the
description as well as the manufacturer's name you've uniquely ID'd the
part, since it's rare that a manufacturer duplicates its own part names or
numbers. I agree with previous entries suggesting that a universal product
identifier may be unnecessary.

Margery Conner
mconner at connerbase.com

[1]