[uf-discuss] rel link for attached files

Alf Eaton lists at hubmed.org
Thu Mar 2 08:50:36 PST 2006

On 02 Mar 2006, at 10:45, Alf Eaton wrote:

> At the moment when you save a web page, the embedded images, CSS
> files, etc are often saved in a folder alongside the HTML file.
> There's also the possibility of using special tools to save
> everything that's linked from the original page up to a certain
> depth (and limited to the same domain, for example). I was thinking
> it might be useful to have a microformat (a rel attribute) that
> would explicitly say "save this linked file along with the HTML page".
>
> One use in particular is for supplementary data in scientific
> papers - the links from a saved paper to the supplementary data
> online would obviously still work, but it might be nice to be able
> to automatically save everything together in one place, offline.
>
> Has anything like this been proposed before?

Answering myself, the closest I can find is Internet Explorer's use
of <link rel="offline" href=""/> [1], which points to a CDF file that
contains links to the files that should be cached for browsing
offline. If using rel="offline" on <a> tags doesn't break IE's usage,
maybe that would be the best microformat for this situation?

alf.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/delivery/offline/linkrel.asp