[uf-discuss] Product Data Microformat

Mike Dierken dierken at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 19:33:56 PST 2006

My guess is that each industry has defined their own schemas and XML
formats for their particular kind of products (and services).
I think its more of a social problem than a technical problem - most
companies aren't all that motivated in sharing data with folks they
aren't already doing business with (although it is suprising that
there isn't a 'one true product schema').
>From my experience at Amazon, I'm guessing that a single format that
encompasses a large set of product categories will be a very open
schema. Basically, product references (book title, UPC,
mft/part-number, etc.) and attributes for product description. (When
you get into the /selling/ of products, there are fewer choices and
more chance of a schemas being useful - but that's for another
discussion thread.) For products, the biggest challenge is the
determining whether the names used by different parties have the same
meaning or only sort of similar meanings.

I did a quick search on Google and nothing stunning showed up on the
first few pages - which means we have to do it ourselves.

How about commerce.net host a "product attribute metadata" database
that all industries can use to find and 'register' properties of their
products? All with the requisite XML based RESTful API of course.

This really isn't "microformat" oriented, but a clearing house for
names of attributes used to describe physical products - the Dublin
Core of products (you know, there /has/ to be some sort of existing
repository for this stuff).