[uf-discuss] Microformat Question

Edward Vielmetti edward.vielmetti at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 20:42:39 PST 2006

If you go back to the golden age of Usenet FAQs,
you can find some very common styles.  One
concrete example is this 1993 one from
comp.mail.mime:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.mime/browse_thread/thread/
74b72277e4da2f9a

Note a few things -
- the index at the front to the sections of the document
- a diff marker in the index to note sections which have changed
- the use of punctuation to indicate which parts of the document are
incomplete
- the extensive credits given to contributors (45 listed)
- the specific credits for individual portions of the work, inline
- the use of timestamps to mark the freshness of ever-changing FAQ
answers

This style of FAQ-writing has largely been abandoned by
the Death of Usenet (film at 11), but in its day it was
incredibly useful.

Ed