[uf-discuss] hAtom look-see

Chris Casciano chris at placenamehere.com
Mon Mar 20 16:31:49 PST 2006

On Mar 20, 2006, at 6:18 PM, Ryan King wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2006, at 1:36 PM, Ryan King wrote:
>> On Mar 14, 2006, at 10:13 AM, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:
>>
>>> Fellas,
>>>
>>> I wrote a post with an itsy-bitsy dose of hAtom in it:
>>>
>>> http://fuzzycontent.com/index.php/2006/03/14/context-wants-to-be-
>>> free-too/
>>>
>>> I can't get any of the listed tools to validate it, though. Can you
>>> lend me a hand with your expertize and tell me if I am doing
>>> something
>>> wrong?
>>
>> looks good to me:
>> http://www.lukearno.com/projects/hatom2atom/?url=http://
>> fuzzycontent.com/index.php/2006/03/14/context-wants-to-be-free-too/.
>
> Arg, I was wrong. Sorry.
>
> There's certainly some problems here, as pointed out by the feed
> validator:
> http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?
> url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lukearno.com%2Fprojects%2Fhatom2atom%2F%3Furl%3Dht
> tp%253A%252F%252Ffuzzycontent.com%252Findex.php%252F2006%252F03%252F14%
> 252Fcontext-wants-to-be-free-too%252F

Right, in the example above there seem to be a few things contributing
to the validation errors - some on the tool side and some on the author
side. let me use that page as example 1, and the following as Example
2:

http://chunkysoup.net/extras/behindcs/index_new.html

In both cases using the hatom2atom proxy -> feedvalidator.org as my
tools...

In Example 1:

Error 1: Field Feed-updated is an empty tag -- TOOL error
Error 2: Field Feed-id is an enpty tag -- TOOL error
Error 3: Fields  Entry-id is an empty tag -- AUTHOR error
Error 4: Fields entry-author is an empty tag -- AUTHOR error (must use
ADDRESS outside of entries)
Warning 1: Field Feed-Title is empty -- would be TOOL
Warning 2: Feed Missing atom:link with rel="self" -- would be TOOL
Warning 3: Duplicate Ids (blank) found - would be AUTHOR
Warning 4: Two entries with the same value for atom:updated - would be
AUTHOR, if its needed

In Example 2:

Error 1: Field Feed-updated is an empty tag -- TOOL error
Error 2: Field Feed- id must be a full and valid URL --  TOOL error
Error 3: Field entry - id must be a full and valid URL --  TOOL error
Error 4: field entry updated must be an RFC-3339 date-time --  TOOL
error
Warning 1: Field Feed-Title is empty -- would be TOOL
Warning 2: Feed Missing atom:link with rel="self" -- would be TOOL

In this case the ids for both the feed level and the individual entries
are found by the parser, but the validator is expecting full URLs in
those cases, but the xsl file is generating only the anchors/ids of the
elements

After some discussion it looks like the non-author errors (marked TOOL
error) should be solved on the hatom consumption side (the xsl
document) and not holes in the hatom specs or the validator. Things the
hatom parser should do but isn't:

* Value the feed - updated timestamp based off document statistics
* add any needed extra date/time specificity to updated or published
entry dates
* properly extract full urls for ids at the feed + entry levels
* resolve any warnings that are worthy of resolving

NOTE: I'm using the version of the file that the proxy is currently
using, I don't konw if any of these have been resolved in SVN or
previously discussed on this list.

I do have to say, I know the tools are raw, and I'm happy to help where
I can with documentation or the tools themselves, but in this
particular case having hatom specific parsing more clearly defined /
spec'd somewhere would do a world of good.

--
[ Chris Casciano ]
[ chris at placenamehere.com ] [ http://placenamehere.com ]