[uf-discuss] read/write hrmm

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 16:53:10 PST 2006

Hello,

On 3/21/06, Chris Messina <chris.messina at gmail.com> wrote:

> Richard McManus has a good post about designing microcontent, but
> makes a bit of a faux pas when he says:
>
> "XML has largely lived up to its promise of being the data format of
> choice for the Web 2.0 era. And by far the most widely deployed format
> is RSS 2.0, which is a loosely structured XML dialect. Sir Tim
> Berners-Lee would probably prefer that RDF, a much more rigorously
> structured form of XML, were used instead. But that's another story!"
>
> ...and:
>
> "Microformats is the generic name given to any format that builds on
> XML to provide additional metadata about web objects. "

I'd probably define Microformats as "semantic HTML with a specification".

(Or is that suppose to say "Microcontent" or something else?)

Am I wrong to think that while RSS is widely deployed, it has not
> actually added to the semantic content on the web but rather only
> created an alternative delivery system that in fact could have been
> originally done with XHTML had the microformat concept (i.e. hAtom)
> been around awhile back?

I think that while it could have been done with hAtom, I don't know if it
would have been as popular or even taken off like it did if all we had was
hAtom back them.

I think that part of RSS's popularity came about because it was relatively
easy to roll your own RSS parser, in your language of choice.

Parsing hAtom is more difficult.  (And while adding classes is easy to do
for the publisher... publishers are only are half the story.  hAtom is more
difficult to consume than RSS.)

See ya

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.