[uf-discuss] Plants Microformat

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 20:01:50 PST 2006

On 3/23/06, Breton Blake Slivka <zen at zenpsycho.com> wrote:
> Brian, if you look at the wiki, it would seem that he already has done much of what you list.

--- correct, he has certainly gotten a good start. Things to consider
will be the "data types" with hReview they looked at all the different
types of rating and decided to go with a 5 Star rating. They did not
pull this out of thin air, it came from research into how people where
already publishing data. For this plant-microformat, or any
microformat, there needs to be a discussion about, not only the
properties, but also their values. Will plants be measured in Metric
or Imperial systems? etc. etc. I encourage anyone to keep adding
examples to the list, not only example pages, but actual layouts and
texts of examples. Basically, "Show me what a plant bio looks like."

> If one desires to propose a new format for something, it is much easier to build support if there are already tools available which can make use of it. That is, make the plant information aggregator *first*, /then/ market the format.

This is a big chicken and the egg kind of run-around. Many people are
not happy at Large Standards bodies because they spend years and years
putting everything and the kitchen sink into the format. When they go
to market it, no one uses it. Microformats' goal is to try and find
data already out there and model things off real world examples.

-brian

--
brian suda
http://suda.co.uk