[uf-discuss] Enumerating Microformats on a Page

Phil Haack haacked at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 12:16:52 PST 2006

People do read Microformat content directly which I understand.  It fits
with the "Human First" principle.

But references to the xmdp profiles are in the <head> element which is NOT
human readable.  So there is precedent for non-human readable
discoverability mechanism within Microformats.

At Mix06, Tantek pointed out that listing all the xmdp profiles that a site
used on a homepage could get unwieldy.

I suppose if I wanted to help both people and an aggregator find various
Microformats of interest, there could be a microformat for a site index.  My
homepage could include it or simply link to it using some other microformat.

Thus for the human, there would be a simple link to follow <a
href="/siteindex/" rel="siteindex">Site Map</a>.  Likewise, my aggregator
would look for this if it didn't find the xmdp profile for a sitemap on the
current page.

I think this might be useful so aggregators (and users) don't have to crawl
an entire site.

Has there been any work done in this area? Is it a bad idea?