[uf-discuss] MicroID - Identity in a shade of microformat

jer jeremie at jabber.org
Mon Mar 27 15:40:35 PST 2006

Boy, once Doc gets a hold of something... I was going to send out a
little note here asking for some feedback, but it's gone full circle
already :)

Anyway, MicroID isn't exactly a microformat all by itself but it can
be expressed in conjunction with one.  It's really just an opaque but
verifiable owner token, allowing anyone to point at something and say
"that's mine" which can be verified by using their email address (or
any supported communication identifier).

The itch I'm scratching is two part, I'm tired of having to put some
button or javascript code (or upload a funky named empty file) on my
blog/site to verify that I have editorial control over it.  This
practice is becoming more and more common, and the technology to do
this once and for all isn't brain surgery.

The second part is to have a MicroID published with a "score"
microformat (well really just class='score' unless someone has a
better idea) that is wrapped around any comment or content published
on a moderated system.  If I get modded up and have a good reputation
on that system, why can't there be a solid technical way for me to
verify my reputation (or just a bag of all my scores) to anyone that
cares?  If these moderated systems publish a simple MicroID with the
score output, it makes my reputation portable as much as I want it to
be.

So, I know I need to improve the vision/message on microid.org better
(set up yet another wiki?), feel free to im/email me if you have
specific suggestions, thanks!

Jer