[uf-discuss] hAtom handheld CSS..?

Chris Casciano chris at placenamehere.com
Mon Mar 27 17:08:02 PST 2006

On Mar 27, 2006, at 7:46 PM, Chris Messina wrote:

> Another example of using hAtom could come from the devices
> themselves... Imagine using a service proxy between the website you
> want and your handheld:
>
> originating website --> proxy --> handheld
>
> While you could use RSS for this, hell, why not use the website you
> want? Then you're not scuffling with feed URLs or managing an
> aggregator... you're just going to a website (factoryjoe.com/blog).
>
> The beautiful thing would be that the proxy would strip out the hAtom
> object and present them, Gmail like, as posts -- viewable by title,
> summary or complete. That way, those long long entries or blog
> homepages won't take a million years to load because you've got a
> transformation engine sitting between you and the destination grabbing
> only the stuff that's of high value to you.
>
> That to me seems like the ideal use case: partial loading of web
> content based on semantic delimiters.
>
> Now *there's* a business for ya.
>
> Chris

Unless you spec out navigation, other content, etc I still don't see
how you're filling the gap between "feed content" and "web pages" that
you can navigation around and get to other non-blog or feed related
content. Reformatting it *ALL* (or in better selected parts) for
consumption on the other devices is where I can imagine the win being
and that seems to me to come with XHTML, CSS + Education if good use...
I still don't see the hAtom win outside of the subscription context
(which I think is valid, but not handheld specific).

*shrugs*

I'll repeat my comment before though -- I dont' have a blackberry --
haven't used a handheld for real browsing since my Palm V + AvantGo. If
there are sitautions you come up against as a user it would be
beneficial to be vocal about what the stumbling blocks are and get
other web people thinking about them and writing up solutions for the
masses.

--
[ Chris Casciano ]
[ chris at placenamehere.com ] [ http://placenamehere.com ]