[uf-discuss] "Behavior" and microformats

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 08:13:24 PST 2006

The best thing about tags as far as resiliency goes is name-spacing
and context.

Whereas metatags where never available to the end user and could be
easily spammed, tags used in websites, especially blogs and sites like
Flickr, have a use that extends beyond spiders -- that is,
navigational purposes.

Consider this on my blog: http://factoryjoe.com/blog/archives/

If I had spammed my tags, that device would be useless to my audience.
At the same time, maybe I spammed my metatags, but you'd never know
it.

In that respect I think that tags, from a publisher perspective, will
be more resilient because you're incented to keep them tidy for your
audience.

And, w/r/t CSS-hidden tags and so on... I believe that most engines
have become smart enough to penalize sites that engage in such
practices generally -- adding tags would therefore be no better than
your typical word spam, since that content would likely be ignored
anyway.

Chris