[uf-discuss] Citation format straw proposal on the wiki

Breton Slivka zen at zenpsycho.com
Wed Mar 29 04:33:10 PST 2006

Going of my experiences with microformats, the most difficult thing
to deal with as a "newcomer" to the idea, is for instance, the
intimidatingly large amount of properties available in a format such
as iCalendar. For the sake of wide adoptability, I can see the merits
of trying to keep property lists down to a minimum, and I can see the
effort to do so in the microformats initiative.

In this instance, you seem to be running into an issue where we have
a very widely applicable and general idea (citations) and a fairly
large number of specific domains over which it can be applied, each
with its own set of requirements and restrictions. For instance, Ryan
Cannon's suggestion that "work-of-art" be rolled into a citation
format. Not a perfect fit but it could work- but it would only be
useful with a number of domain specific properties. Other examples
could be photos, journals, websites, etc. You want to be able to
cover all of them, but you also don't want to bloat the format.

So how do you deal with the counter goals of making it simple enough
for general usage, but useful enough for domain specific applications?

My suggestion: Modularize. Create a "Core" citation format, which is
stripped down to the bone, containing only the common elements in all
of those formats. Then add domain specific modules for the special
cases, which only the domain experts need to worry about.

With this, I think you've eliminated part of the problem in adoption
of a large and ungainly format with hundreds of properties.  User
agents need only deal with the core citation format. domain specific
software can be created and utilized as necessary.