[uf-discuss] Citation format straw proposal on the wiki

Alf Eaton lists at hubmed.org
Wed Mar 29 07:36:37 PST 2006

On 28 Mar 2006, at 17:27, Michael McCracken wrote:

> Hi, so since we've got a large number of examples on the examples
> page, I think it's time to float an initial version of a citation
> microformat.
>
> I've put a suggestion up on the wiki at
> http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-brainstorming - I don't claim
> that it's complete - help fill it in, but keep in mind that we should
> start out simple. I think I've captured nearly enough to satisfy the
> 80/20 rule based on the examples we've got, and I think a majority of
> BibDesk users would be delighted with 50/50!
>
> I tried hard to think of it as a microformat first and resist the
> temptation to include everything I've seen in other bibliographic data
> formats. I think there's a real danger here of making it complicated
> enough that it's hard to adopt, possibly more so than with other
> microformats.
>
> I also don't claim to be any good at designing microformats - I just
> really want to see one, and a bad strawman has to be better than
> nothing at all. I'm eager to hear where I diverged from the design
> patterns, exhibited ignorance, or any other criticism.

Thanks for setting that up Mike, I'd like to see something finalised
too. I think the main difficulty is defining the aims and uses for a
citation microformat (and I agree with Ross that linking is probably
the most important). Is the aim to be able to convert losslessly
between a full citation format like MODS and microformatted XHTML, or
does there just need to be enough information to identify the item?

Either way, here's the kind of thing I had in mind, just for a
comparison to your straw man...

     <ol class="reference-list">
	<li class="citation reference book">
			<a class="uri" href="urn:isbn:45346327"/>
			(<span class="year">1988</span>);
	</li>
     </ol>

I guess there are some things in there that could become vcards, if
you wanted.

alf.