[uf-discuss] Citation format straw proposal on the wiki

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Mar 30 06:43:49 PST 2006

On Mar 30, 2006, at 7:48 AM, Tim White wrote:

> 1) Humans first, machines second.
> This means keeping everything visible, not trapped in metadata. If you
> really want to note that it's a photo then include that:

> photography">Ansel Adams</span>.</cite>

The "Photo" there isn't machine-readable.  I think it should be made
it machine-readable with <span class="media">photo</span> or <span
class="citation photo"> -- I'm ambivalent about which is best between
the two.

> 2) "Adapted to current behaviors and usage patterns."
> Microformats are suppose to be modeled on what people are currently
> doing (80/20) on the web. I think of it in terms of the Everyman/
> woman.
> Capturing metadata isn't what is happening by the 80.

The microformat *is* the metadata.  Few were explicitly saying "this
is a person's contact information" before using hcard because it was
implied by the context.  Citation media is also implied by the
context.  A book publisher's citations are implicitly about books.
As humans, we can make these inferences, so we don't bother
explicitly stating them.  Machines aren't so smart.  Microformats
make such contextual implications explicit to allow machines to parse
the information humans can already infer.

Peace,
Scott