[uf-discuss] item in hReviews

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Thu Mar 30 10:39:38 PST 2006

On Mar 4, 2006, at 5:57 PM, Alf Eaton wrote:
> On 04 Mar 2006, at 13:50, Ryan King wrote:
>> On Mar 4, 2006, at 9:31 AM, Alf Eaton wrote:
>>
>>> At postgenomic.com (an aggregator/analysis engine for life
>>> science weblogs), an attempt to get people to add markup to their
>>> posts to identify reviews of papers currently looks like this:
>>> <http://www.postgenomic.com/about_reviews.php>. The
>>> recommendation is to use either a) rev="review" on the outward
>>> link, or b) to enclose the review in <div class="hreview"> and
>>> add class="url" to the outgoing link. My question is that in the
>>> hReview draft specification, 'item' is required: would it be best
>>> to use <div class="hreview item description"> for the wrapper, or
>>> are 'item' and 'description' not really necessary in this context
>>> (where there's not always structure, such as citation metadata,
>>> in the review itself)?
>>
>> In this case, the url would be the item being reviewed, no?
>
> Yes, it would. The trouble is that the item (title, url) and
> description (the text of the review) are all going to be jumbled up
> here, so it's difficult to isolate them into separate 'item' and
> 'description' sections. Could it be implicit that a 'url' class
> inside an 'hreview' class refers to the item being reviewed?

Sorry for the slow reply...

It seems that your question is "what do I do when the item's in the
description?".

If I understand that correctly then, there really is no problem, its
perfectly legal to have the item inside the description. So, your
example from http://www.postgenomic.com/about_reviews.php could be:

     I read an <a class="item url" href="[URL of paper]">interesting
paper in Science</a> today...

-ryan
--
Ryan King