Language Maps [was RE: [uf-discuss] Microformats vs XML]

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Mon May 1 05:08:34 PDT 2006

On May 1, 2006, at 3:33 AM, Joe Andrieu wrote:

> All without any requirement of seeing or using English except the one
> reference to hCard in the title of the profile.

And all the HTML.  The problem is that we need a shared language in
order to communicate, and machines are bad at translation.  At some
point before parsing, all multi-lingual class names would need to be
translated to a lingua franca that can be understood by all
machines.  There is no good place to do this after the server outputs
a document, but there's no reason it can' t be done before that point
and work with all existing microformat parsers.  If you want to write
your microformats in French, write them in French.  You just need to
translate them into English before presenting them to a machine
expecting you to speak English.  This translation could be a
relatively simple server-side XSLT.  But expecting every parser to
translate every document before parsing it would require a
distributed translation system accessible by any programming
language.  If we had that, I expect we'd find better uses for it.

Peace,
Scott