[uf-discuss] Adobe's XMP Platform (for media metadata)

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus.lists at gmail.com
Mon May 1 06:16:41 PDT 2006

On 4/30/06, Chris Messina <chris.messina at gmail.com> wrote:

> I still think it might be worth documenting -- as far as what
> consistent bits we should try tacking on to rich media... and it is
> pretty impressive that they've been able to carry the embedded
> metadata throughout their apps (though that's one nice benefit of
> controlling the whole workflow).
>
> I wonder if anything akin to their cross-app leverage could be
> achieved with a more open, more microformat-like solution without
> becoming a vertical monopoly?

The ideal solution would be for Adobe to open up XMP and revise it as
part of an open process. There are some technical limitations in XMP
[1][2][3] that are related to how they chose to subset RDF. But I
think for these use cases, their decision to use RDF was the right
one.

Background: I'm on the OpenDocument Technical Committee and the new
Metadata Subcommitttee. We've had conversations about including
something like XMP in ODF, and it was actually Adobe that started that
conversation.

Bruce

[1] http://www.ldodds.com/blog/archives/000261.html
[2] http://www.ldodds.com/blog/archives/000263.html