[uf-discuss] awesome examples of microformats, faqs

Chris Casciano chris at placenamehere.com
Mon May 8 05:55:11 PDT 2006

On May 8, 2006, at 7:11 AM, Drew McLellan wrote:

> At the moment we have dozens of really great examples of people
> publishing with microformats and lots of great scripts and methods of
> consuming microformats. I think perhaps what we're missing is some
> good examples of the full round-trip.
>
> For me, this is where Microsoft's live clipboard demo really captures
> the imagination. I shows how structured data (and yay, it's a uF) can
> really benefit user experience, in this case.
>
> I think what Chris is getting at (and forgive me if this is wrong,
> Chris ...) is that we can all see the massive benefits of microformats
> - but it's all slightly academic. As technical folk, we know that
> structured data is important and valuable, and therefore is practical
> to us. However, your average web designer isn't used to knocking up
> perl scripts to parse juicy data out of a page to use for something
> awesome. It's this crowd that needs to see practical examples of full
> round-trip use (like live clipboard) before they'll 'get it' and see
> the benefit enough to start implementing in earnest.
>
> Is that right Chris?
>
> My question would be - so what full round-trip examples do we have?
> Let's showcase them. If we need more examples, let's brainstorm some
> ideas and get stuff built.
>
> drew.

I'd be more then happy to evolve my tutorial on using the newtnewswire
hatom script[1] i wrote into another piece that emphasizes microformats
more. After all, the main impetus behind writing the script was to
really see what kind of usage benefits hatom could offer in a live
environment /right now/. I didn't do it immediately because I was
waiting for a few more example implementations to spring up so there'd
be more to direct an interested user to, but if someone is going to
start organizing an effort to publicize more examples I'll make some
time to put a piece together for it.

[1] http://placenamehere.com/mf/netnewswire/

--
[ Chris Casciano ]