[uf-discuss] hcalendar timezone, DST examples

Mark Mansour mark at lifelint.com
Sun May 14 16:22:00 PDT 2006

I've got some experience in this area and would be happy to help out.
The original tests that I wrote up
[http://svn.lifelint.com/hcalendar_tests/] all used Z (UTC) if a
timezone was added, but a timezone may legitimately be left off for
"all day events".

I really need to check out the hg repository...

Mark

On 5/13/06, Michael MD <mdagn at spraci.com> wrote:

> > I believe the most common flaw in vevents is currently missing or
> > incorrect timezones.  I was just looking at how timezones are shown
> > in the examples, and discovered that they aren't.  Every single
> > example is marked as Z.  On the live web, I don't see many actually
> > converting their times to UTC, so I think the examples should
> > probably reflect the more common use of offsets to encourage better
> > timezone markup.
>
> I've seen the same thing happening in a lot of ical feeds.
>
> Maybe we need some simple instructions with pointers to timezone data in the
> faq?
> There seems to be a lack of openly accessable and accurate timezone data out
> there to do the conversions.
>
> I run a website with events listings for many countries worldwide, that is
> why timezone conversions are such an issue here.
>
> For most people just knowing their offset from GMT will probably be enough,
> but in my case an accurate way of converting any timezone to/from GMT is
> needed.
>
> Yes of course browser based applications could see the user's time settings
> and can do tricks with javascript but what if their pc clock is wrong?
> ... and what about server-side stuff?

picking the lint off your life