[uf-discuss] Microsummaries in Firefox redux

Paul Bryson paul at msn.com
Thu May 18 06:50:32 PDT 2006

Chris Messina wrote:
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Microsummaries#Microsummary_Generators
>
> Maybe I'm daft, but I don't get it. Nor do I see how most mortals will
> grok "microsummaries" or how to create them
> (http://www.flickr.com/photos/factoryjoe/147071018/).

I suspect that most people won't know what it is.  Then again, most
people don't know what Firefox is.

> Can someone please share with me what the big idea is and why this is
> shipping in Firefox 2 by default?

In relation to Microformats, which is referenced down at the bottom of
the page with the text:

"The microsummary generator dialect and the use of the <link rel>
element to specify microsummaries should be standardized by appropriate
bodies. Appropriate bodies for standardization may include the
microformats group and the WHATWG."

Microsummaries simply offers a way to parse microformat-type formats,
where the format may be a user defined format.  The example given on
that page is similar to creating an ATOM feed for a page that doesn't
have one.

I might create an XSLT file that says, "for this particular page, look
for this element/class, and return it to be used as the name of the
bookmark."  In this way, looking at the bookmark will give you the
latest blog entry title, or product price.

If a blog is marked up using hATOM, the ability to use this function
should be almost automatic (assuming FF2 ships with the appropriate XSLT).

As for it shipping in FF2, I guess that depends on if it is working and
if it is dependent on Places, which has been removed from FF2.  Assuming
it works fine and doesn't create any noticeable overhead, I don't see
why they wouldn't include it.  Although, I'm betting that it requires
Places, and so won't be included anyway.

Atamido