[uf-discuss] Addressing bits of information

Angus McIntyre angus at pobox.com
Thu May 25 05:18:47 PDT 2006

At 01:04 -0700 25.05.2006, Chris Messina wrote:
>Eugene has posted an interesting issue that might benefit from some mF
>insight... how do we create URIs for partial bits of data like a word
>or hcard in the middle of a paragraph?

Referencing particular document fragments within an XML document
(which an XHTML page necessarily is) is supposedly the province of
XPointer:

	http://www.w3.org/XML/Linking

It might be worth looking at that rather than reinventing that
particular wheel, although the XPointer syntax (which draws on XPath)
might be a little scary for most authors.

There's also the problem that nothing in wide use today actually
supports XPointer, although perhaps Javascript could come to the
rescue here, at least for simple cases?

Angus