[uf-discuss] Relationship between XFN and hCard

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Thu May 25 09:37:27 PDT 2006

I just realized that no-one has responded to this yet...

On May 15, 2006, at 12:41 PM, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:

> I've been slowly chipping away at the implementation of XFN builder in
> TinyMCE, which is the rich text editor for Wordpress and other
> blogging/CMS tools.

awesome!

> Somewhere along the way an odd thought occured -- it seems that XFN
> and hCard are closely related. XFN describes relationship of a person,
> represented by the target page, and hCard declares that this link is
> part of contact information.

Yup. See Tantek's blog for an example of this in action.

Also, there's a bunch of ideas about XFN + hCard going in the other
direction, which need to be explored at some point (when I have more
(literal) bandwidth).

> What do you guys think? Is this crazy? I remember Drew arguing about
> the dangers of implicitly blessing links as hCards
> (http://allinthehead.com/retro/287/the-dangers-of-automatically-
> generating-hcards),
> but I can't remember where the discussion ended up.

Yes, you need to be very careful about this. But I don't have any
suggestions for how to do this without making your UI more complex.
(sorry!)

-ryan