[uf-discuss] RDFa and microformats

Elias Torres elias at torrez.us
Tue May 30 13:53:39 PDT 2006

Scott Reynen wrote:
> On May 30, 2006, at 1:25 PM, Elias Torres wrote:
>
>> We could gain more if we gave it a shot at working
>> together by leveraging the unbelievable momentum uFs have and the more
>> general goals of RDFa even though in the end we might end up with *A*
>> totally different specification that what either of the current
>> proposals started as in their respective organizations.
>
> I think the disconnect right now is that the process of microformat
> development requires real-world implementations on which to make
> decisions, and RDFa has no real-world implementations.  Until RDFa has
> real-world implementations, it's not likely to influence the direction
> of microformat development based on a thusfar entirely theoretical
> format.  If and when RDFa has real-world implementations, the process of
> microformat development ensures that those will be taken into account
> just like other real-world implementations (e.g. vcard, vcalendar, etc.)
> have influenced microformat development in the past.  So there is no
> standards war to talk about yet, and it's not at all clear there ever
> will be.

I'm missing your point Scott. If what you refer to as real-world
implementation is (vcard, vcalendar, etc), then RDFa draws from them
just as well uF does. For example, Dan Conolly has been working on
Calendar + RDF for a very long time [1] and has been using RDF to solve
real life problems. Now if you mean GreaseMonkey scripts or Brian Suda's
X2V work, that's not a major problem, I can do one if it'd help us
making progress. This is just another reason why I think we are working
at reaching very similar goals and working together early will be
beneficial to the web.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/