[uf-discuss] RDFa and microformats

Elias Torres elias at torrez.us
Tue May 30 16:08:16 PDT 2006

On 5/30/06, Scott Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> wrote:
> On May 30, 2006, at 3:53 PM, Elias Torres wrote:
>
> > I'm missing your point Scott. If what you refer to as real-world
> > implementation is (vcard, vcalendar, etc), then RDFa draws from them
> > just as well uF does.
>
> I wasn't comparing microformats and RDFa.  I was comparing RDFa and
> vcard.  There were thousands, maybe millions, of real-world vcards to
> look at when developing the hcard microformat.  Where is the existing
> RDFa data you would like incorporated into future microformat
> development?  Can you provide some URLs where RDFa is being published
> currently?  If so, you should add them to the relevant *-examples
> pages on the wiki.  If not, RDFa is not yet a real-world publishing
> concern, making it beyond the scope of microformats.  See:
>
> http://microformats.org/about/
>
> Specifically: "adapted to current behaviors."  As far as I can tell,
> RDFa is not a current behavior so what you're suggesting is that
> microformats should be adapted to future behaviors.

I'm honestly confused by your answers. I believe that there isn't a
single "behavior" adopted  by microformats that was already embedded
in HTML. Everyone of them existed as its own proprietary format and
were retooled to be embedded in XHTML. RDFa is to these formats
exactly what uF is to them, a method for embedding them into HTML. Am
I missing something?

-Elias