[uf-discuss] RDFa and microformats

Elias Torres elias at torrez.us
Tue May 30 19:43:21 PDT 2006

Scott Reynen wrote:
> On May 30, 2006, at 6:08 PM, Elias Torres wrote:
>
>> I'm honestly confused by your answers.
>
> Maybe you could specify which parts of this are confusing (or incorrect
> -- I'm just describing what I see):
>
> 1) Only currently published formats (e.g. vcard, RSS, etc.) influence
> microformats, and...
> 2) RDFa is not a currently published format, so...
> 3) RDFa is not currently influencing microformat development.

Uh?

I believe you are calling vcard a published format. RDFa is NOT a
published format, it's a mechanism for embedding published formats into
HTML (just like microformats). RDFa doesn't want to influence ufs as a
format, but as another specification with some noble goals. Anyways, I'm
not sure whether you are aware of what I'm asking here:

Microformats and RDFa have different goals and technical quirks and I
together with others think that there's an opportunity to have a single
story without having to create two incompatible and incomplete solution
to embedding metadata in HTML.

Excerpt below, just in case you haven't read it.

    xmlns:cal="http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/ical#"
    xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
        I'm giving
        on