[uf-discuss] Best practice for the "value" subproperty

Jeremy Boggs jeremyboggs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 16:04:21 PST 2006

"Costello, Roger L." <costello at mitre.org> writes:
>        will be our speaker.  Mr.

While this is more an editorial suggestion than a microformat
suggestion, it seems the best solution would be:

be our speaker. Mr. Public will talk about...

In general, it isn't good writing practice to mention someone's first
name in a sentence, and then their last name in a later sentence (and
vice versa). Even if, with hCard, we could combine the first and last
names into one contact card, it isn't clear just from the text itself
that "John" and "Mr. Public" are the same person; It would be jarring
to the reader. With the change above, the microformat parser can
easily grab the hCard for "John Public" AND the reader will know that
"Mr. Public" is in fact "John Public."

Now, I understand the microformat question raised (it is very
interesting one, I might add), but it seems like the best solution in
this instance would be to avoid the problem to begin with as much as
possible.

Are the instances on the web, Roger, that the scenario you posed to
the list is in being used? Or was this more a hypothetical question?

Best,
Jeremy Boggs