[uf-discuss] Mailing list debate moved & new proposal

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 01:43:44 PST 2006

Wow. This thread spiraled into nowhere land quickly.

I mean, once you're into personal preferences, you know that you're
never going to win. Some prefer email, some forums, some RSS -- hell
-- it's just the *display* of data. Thank g*d we separated those two a
long time ago so that people can have their way! (Just for notes,
Google Groups Beta is kind of the ideal merger of forums, email and
RSS, if you haven't tried it yet).

Anyway, let me throw out something controversial to steer this back.

So there's been discussion about creating new lists for every new
microformat that's proposed. Well, that sounds like a very fractious
action, that could really undermine the authority of the group.

Or not.

But rather than host it all here on the microformats-discuss list,
there's no reason why folks can't go off and start their own efforts,
as others have (see: Social Media Club). I'm not advocating the
splitting of the community, but I am advocating for folks to see to
their own desires, interests and verticals and take the model, spirit
and goals of microformats and strike out on your own and work to get
your own microformats adopted.

Because it's true, this form of dialogue doesn't scale well -- and the
only way to advance is to farm out the work to distributed nodes in
the system, let them focus hard and work hard, and then return back
with their findings, implementations and/or adoptions.

No one's stopping you. As far as I'm concerned, have at.

Chris