[uf-discuss] Mailing list debate moved & new proposal

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Mon Nov 6 11:31:00 PST 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 5:37 AM, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> I'm going to reply to several responses at once.
>
>>> Why not create a new mailing list for each proposal, once it's
>>> reached a certain stage?
> Ryan King>>  Because that's more administrative overhead for
> Ryan King>>  admin's who're already overloaded.
>
> The problem is that the current Microformat process is not at all
> scalable.
> It is much like having you managing a file containing all domain
> names, and
> anytime someone wants a new domain name or subdomain, or make a
> change, they
> have to get your time and attention. I think we all know what a
> boon DNS
> was.  We should look to benefit from prior knowledge and organize the
> Microformat inititive so it can scale.

You seem to assume that we want to scale. :D

The beauty of DNS is that you can divide up the process of minting
domain names in a way that it's impossible for people to step on each
other's toes. With microformats, we don't have such technology. We
could use URI namespaces (which, ironically, leverage DNS), or we
could do prefixing of property names or something else.

However, those solutions are against the grain of microformats.
They'd no longer be simple, they'd no longer work together. There
would be too many of them.

-ryan