[uf-discuss] Mailing list debate moved & new proposal

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Nov 7 14:36:27 PST 2006

On 11/7/06 12:16 PM, "Mike Schinkel" <mikeschinkel at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is nothing in what I'm envisioning or proposing that would make them
> theoretical.  I would just like to address more areas that it appears you
> want to address.

Per the microformats process, you may begin researching real world web
examples of *any* data type, and I encourage you to do so, as it will
increase the chances of a microformat being eventually developed to support
that data type, even if it is not developed immediately.

For example, one person did A LOT of research for "listings" many months
ago, but did not have any experience with brainstorming or designing formats
(this is a very important lesson - as *most* domain/topic experts are
actually *not* experts at format design and thus often do better to work
with folks with more experience designing formats rather than trying to do
it themselves - another reason why we don't want multiple lists - only so
many experienced format design experts to go around ;) and thus the effort
paused for a while, until months later, a few folks came along, found all
the pre-existing research, and based on that brainstormed the hListing
proposal and started experimenting with it.

I encourage you to prioritize more common data types over more obscure data
types (among the areas you want to address) as it will greatly increase both
the chance that other folks will help with the research, and help with the
effort in general.

Feel free to create a section for yourself on the to-do page, and add even
just a rough simple list of the data types you would like microformats for.

 http://microformats.org/wiki/to-do

Thanks,

Tantek