[uf-discuss] hCite progress

Frances Berriman fberriman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 09:37:47 PST 2006

On 11/13/06, Brian Suda <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:

> There have been a few hiccups that i am starting to uncover - so any
> guidance is welcomed.
> 1) The term "Pages" i think that actually has two meanings which i
> have confused in the implied schema. The first being "This book is 45
> pages long" which is metadata about the book, and is in the realm of
> media-info microformat. Then there is "this sites pages 43-45" meaning
> a location. So now we need figure out what we are to do? does the
> first metadata become <span class="page-count">45</span> and the
> citation stay "pages" or do we have "start-page" and "end-page" or
> something else? Some systems use "pages" as a string "43-45" others
> have it broken out into SP (start page) 43 EP (end page) 45. I'm not
> sure how they handle references in something like a newspaper where
> the article starts on page 1 and then jumps to page 43... that is not
> start-end, but a list of pages. Then that leads to our
> "singularization" of plural terms. In vCard it is categories (plural)
> but we use "category" singular and just let you have multiple
> instances... can "pages" go the same way? the first instance of
> class="page" is the start page, and the last instance if the last
> page? Any suggestions?

Way to make my brain ache...

If I'm understanding you right (and I'm thinking on the spot), you
want to say that you're referencing pages W, X and Y out of Z.  Surely
Pages 43 - 45 is an abbreviated way of saying "this comes from pages
43, 44 and 45 of a 100 page long book".  Treating it as an
abbreviation also solves the newspaper issue, since you'd be saying
"this comes from page 1 and 14 of a 50 page newpaper".  No?  Silly
probably.  I was just thinking about Jeremy Keith's "this Thursday"
example of an abbreviation (being really a short hand for this
Thursday's full date).

Listing pages individually, out of a total number of pages, rather
than as a range, makes total sense to me.  So "<span
class="category">50</span>."  is fine.  Start-page and end-page is a
bit too restrictive imho.

--
Frances Berriman
http://fberriman.com