[uf-discuss] Proposal: wine

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 04:09:49 PST 2006

On 11/14/06, Larry Halff <lists at larryhalff.com> wrote:
> Hi...
>
> Long time subscriber, first time writer.

--- welcome aboard, great to have more and more people contributing to
the discussion.

> Among other things, I collect wine; probably far too much for my own
> good. ...
>
> For instance, I'd love to be able to grab my favorite wines from
> http://calwineries.com/ and import them as wine in my collection on
> http://corkd.com/. And in the more distant future be able to use a
> search engine to locate what vendors have a wine, or what bloggers
> have said about it.
>
> Am I off base here, or would it be worthwhile to proceed and document
> current wine markup practices?

--- i know that corkd uses hReview to give wines ratings, but think
you are asking for more "metadata" about the wine itself, region,
year, price, etc.

I won't start with finding wine-specific mark-up. This can easily be
abstracted to a more general problem of product-metadata. Which sounds
alot like hListing (http://microformats.org/wiki/hlisting) The intent
of hListing is for a sort of classifieds.

First i would attempt to takes some existing wine data and try and use
hListing and hCard to add some semantics. (i'm guessing) that will get
out more than 80% of the way to what you need. Then we can take a look
at that last 20% and see if rel-tag, hCal, hReview or others can fill
that gap.

Does that make sense?

Do you have a URL that we can all look at so we can get a better
picture of what the data is you are looking to give more meaning too?

-brian

--
brian suda
http://suda.co.uk