[uf-discuss] hThing microformat ... or design pattern

Eric Skiff microformats at glitchnyc.com
Fri Nov 17 11:29:21 PST 2006

>If I mark up the apartment block with all of its aforesaid components,
>in a nested manner, and apply a height, does it apply to the block, or
>the brick?

In the immortal words of Bill & Ted:
"Whoa."

Aside from the philosophical implications of marking up any "thing" as
a hItem or even a tree of hItems, here's my take on hItem enabling
cataloging of various items and bundles of items.

To look at a real world example, FreshDirect sells both single items
and bulk cases.

They're each treated as a single row in their product database,
without worrying about nesting 12 individual cans of soup in the
"case"

They've both got a price, description, producer, contents, etc.

I suppose you could have an hItem which contained other hItems, but I
wonder if we're getting close to the 20% there. I'd love to hear other
people's thoughts, as I'm obviously new to this discussion.

Back on the pseudo-philosophical note - could you have a hCard that
contained other hCards? Would that make you schizophrenic? :)